Tuesday, October 7, 2008

PR Blogs

Recently, I've been reading many blogs and websites related to Public Relation (PR) and Marketing. One of my favorites blogs about the subject is the PR-Squared written by Todd Defren, who is a principal at SHIFT Communication. His last entry in the blog – Will Social Media Help PR Weather the Storm – talks about the economic crisis and how PR/Marketing firms should prove their value and promote themselves.
Social Media basically refers to the integration of technology, social interaction, and communication as tools for discussing information among human being. According to Defren, Social Media provides a great return on investment when added to traditional online marketing means. However, economic downturn is forcing companies to re-evaluate the way they are promoting themselves.
I think that it is a interesting topic and I agree that social media is a tool. Whether if it will weather the storm or not depends on why and how it is used. In a crisis, it is important that the company evaluate their position in the marketing and what are the strategies which should be used.

2 comments:

Renay said...

hi,

your blog entry is great, and there has lots of links to help me to understand it.

I'm suprised that you are interested in PR/Marking. Although I don't know many information of this aspect, I can learn something from your blog entry~~hehe

Alyssa R. said...

Great posting, Abby. Your links were really helpful to understand some concepts unique to PR.

I think social media is fascinating. I feel like it can shape PR, but it can also shape how I interact with news! A friend of mine posts links to articles on his Facebook page all the time and comments on them - it's really interesting to interact with my friends and the news because of social media.